Question to Moderator

Alex Rudd AHRJJ at CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
Tue Apr 4 18:22:18 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2 Apr 2006 19:45:34 -0400 Vladimir Padunov said:
>What is the point of messages like the following if you provide absolutely
>no information on remedy?  Is that doing a "professional service'?  The
>message I sent about the latest issue of KINOKULTURA, a journal devoted to
>contemporary Russian cinema -- and therefore within the purview of the
>readers of this list -- was NOT sent by anyone else and was not a repeat.
>And yet getting in touch with you is absurdly difficult.  What do you gain
>by this antediluvian way of operating?

Dear SEELANGers,

I apologize for taking up your time and disk space with this, but
Mr. Padunov posted his question for all to see, so I might as well
respond in kind.

Dear Mr. Padunov,

First, I am baffled about why you would send a "Question to Moderator"
to the list address.  You have been subscribed to the SEELANGS list for
about 10 years.  Surely you know that SEELANGS is not a moderated list.
(In other words, I'm the list owner, but I'm not the moderator.)  Also,
I have posted often that I can be contacted at the list owner's address,
which is SEELANGS-Request at LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU.  This information is also
found in the Welcome message sent to new subscribers and on our Web site.
(The Web site address is at the bottom of every post to the list.)  And
if you're really tech savvy, it's also in the mail header of every post.

In any event, I will be pleased to respond to the substance of your
question.

In your message, you quoted the one you received from LISTSERV.  It
began like this:

>--On Sunday, April 02, 2006 5:11 PM -0400 "CITY UNIVERSITY OF NEW
>YORK/CIS LISTSERV Server (14.5)" <LISTSERV at LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU> wrote:r
>
>>Your message  is being returned to  you unprocessed because it  appears
>>to have already  been  distributed to  the  SEELANGS  list.  That  is, a

>From that message, please take away the following: LISTSERV sent it at
5:11 PM on April 2, 2006.

Next, I note that your subscription options are set such that you are
sent a copy of every message you post to the list.  I will safely assume,
then, that you received a copy of this message, which you posted to the
list the day before.