Mirror Men and sexual orientatation

Peter Scotto pscotto at MTHOLYOKE.EDU
Tue Apr 4 20:16:05 UTC 2006

> This is an interesting suggestion.  I like even better, though, the term
> "mirror men," since Onegin spends so much time in front of a mirror.
> "Mirror men" are also close to what psychoanalysts mean by
> narcissistically disturbed men (but not identical).

Fyodor Pavlovich Karamazov also spends time in front of a mirror. Most notably
on the night of his murder as he adjusts the red bandage he has donned to cover
up the bruises from Mitya's beating. He is also quite carefully dressed:

       "He was wearing a new striped silk dressing gown, which Mitya had never
seen on him before, tied with a tassled cord also of silk. Clean, stylish linen,
a fine Dutch shirt with gold studs peeped out from under the collar of his gown.
 [...] "All dressed up, thought Mitya."

So is he a "meterosexual" or even a closet "homosexual"?

Throughout history, dandyism of one sort of another has been a form of male
display, and to eqaute it with sexual orientatin strikes me as reductionistic,
a-historical, and, in fact, puritanical ("any man who pays that much attention
to his clothes can't be a "real man'".

I also like