More questions on Onegin

Jules Levin ameliede at EARTHLINK.NET
Thu Apr 6 02:06:08 UTC 2006

At 08:55 PM 4/5/2006, you wrote:

>And if Tatyana were to know about homosexuality (or even sexuality)
>as an unmarried girl, where would this knowledge come from? Were
>there any books on her shelf that would enlighten her, or can we
>expect her nanny teach her, or maybe her mother?
>Alina Israeli

Perhaps from seeing dogs in the road and stallions in the field
engaging in homosexual activity...;-)  Certainly the public
heterosexual copulation of animals was a fixture of both town and
countryside a hundred years ago.  But maybe genteel young ladies were
expected not to look.
But would Tatyana have read Leviticus?   Homosexual-ITY isn't
mentioned of course, but the behavior is.   And this suggestion seems to
return us to a previous topic...
Jules Levin