code in a few messages?

Mon Apr 10 20:31:50 UTC 2006

Prof Steven P Hill wrote:

> Dear colleagues:
>
> In the past couple of days on my poor old computer, a few messages
> posted on SEELANGS are appearing in an indecipherable code.   But
> most messages are appearing completely legibly.   And I should add
> that for many, many months now, if memory serves, every single message
> on SEELANGS has appeared legibly.  -- UNTIL, that is,  the past couple
> of days, when a few messages were displayed in "code."   E.g., In today's
> 14 total messages,  the 3 "coded" messages come from Paul Gallagher [2]
> and Michael Denning [1] -- attached below, from SEELANGS "index.")
>
> Has anyone else noticed these occasional "coded" messages popping
> up on SEELANGS in the past few days?  (But none previously, for a very
> long time)?

Most people limit their subject lines to plain-vanilla ASCII for the
reason you note -- there are still some legacy programs (even a few on
mail servers!) that don't know how to deal with anything else.

> Index  Date  Size Poster and subject
>
> 025051 04/10   32 From:    "Paul B. Gallagher" <paulbg at PBG-TRANSLATIONS.COM>
>                  Subject: Re: маÑ.еÑ.иалÑ.но-Ñ.еÑ.н иÑ.еÑ.каÑ.
>                           база

This subject was in Unicode, which Webmail Mirapoint Direct 3.4.8-GR
doesn't know how to interpret. It was in response to a message from
Steve Marder, which should also have appeared as "code" because the
subject line was in Windows-1251 encoding.

> 025054 04/10   83 From:    Michael Denner <mdenner at STETSON.EDU>
>                  Subject: Re: ÍÁÔÅÒÉÁÌØÎÏ-ÔÅÈÎ ÉÞÅÓËÁÑ ÂÁÚÁ
>
> 025057 04/10   79 From:    "Paul B. Gallagher" <paulbg at PBG-TRANSLATIONS.COM>
>                  Subject: Re: ÍÁÔÅÒÉÁÌØÎÏ-ÔÅ ÈÎÉÞÅÓËÁÑ ÂÁÚÁ

These two subjets were in KOI8-R, which Webmail Mirapoint Direct
3.4.8-GR doesn't know how to interpret.

This is likely to happen more and more often as the older ASCII-only
programs fade into extinction. I recommend you upgrade to a modern
program (there are many good choices). The benefit will be that you can
discuss Slavic subjects with other Slavophiles without having to resort
to transcription, transliteration, or other distortions.

Paul B. Gallagher
pbg translations, inc.
http://pbg-translations.com