zgrabne nogi

Alina Israeli aisrael at AMERICAN.EDU
Wed Apr 12 23:24:04 UTC 2006

The dialogue of "bardzo zgrabne nogi" that I remember is exactly like
Jim described, except in my case it came from this book, I believe:

Mówimy po polsku.

Bisko, Wacaw / Karolak, Stanisaw / Wasilewska, Danuta / Kryski,
Stanisaw:

Mówimy po polsku. A Beginners' Course of Polish.

Warszawa: PW "Wiedza Powszechna", 1966/79.

I was studying it in Leningrad in those days.

Alina

Alina,
    I happen to have just read the Polish excerpt you mentioned. It's from
Oscar Swan, Intermediate Polish (I think--I have only a photocopied
portion), pages 66-67. Marek is observing the ladies' umbrellas, and his
friend Adam says, "Nie jestem pewien, czy obserwujesz parasolki, czy
kobiety." [I'm not sure, if you are watching the umbrellas or the women.]
Later Marek points out one particularly attractive umbrella, and Adam
agrees, "No tak... Ta parasolka ma bardzo zgrabne nogi." [Well, yes... That
umbrella has got a very fine pair of legs.] (Marek's wife, Agata, appears
later.)

Jim Tonn
Slavic Languages and Literature
Princeton University