"kaverznye voprosy" - options

Timothy Sergay tsergay at COLUMBUS.RR.COM
Thu Apr 13 13:54:04 UTC 2006

Dear Lily Alexander,

	If you're going to ask for translation help on a single word or a
tiny collocation, then please be considerate enough to provide the
fullest possible context for your item with your very first query, or
you will just be wasting the time of anyone who tries to help you.
"We tried it -- it's not the same" is of no help to consultants, and
also irritating. I would think about "leading questions," but again,
what do I know? "Sinuous question" appears as a solution to
"kaverznyi [izvilistyi] vopros" on a worksheet on translating
Ulitskaya's "Bron'ka" for a Notre Dame course (http://www.slavdom.com/
courses/pslit/index.php?lang=en&parent=104). But I find "sinuous
question" strange, myself, and googling for that collocation results
in only one vaguely native anglophone token, if you discount a
handful of "sinuous question MARK," which is a different idea.

Tim Sergay