correct Ukrainian orthography? Pavlo Humeniuk

Natalia Pylypiuk natalia.pylypiuk at UALBERTA.CA
Fri Apr 14 10:14:37 UTC 2006

Dear Professor Hill,

I have recordings by the famous fiddler HUMENIUK.
The form *Huemiuk* in note 8 (cited below in blue) is merely a
typographical error. No such name exists in Ukrainian.

If we were to transliterate his name from Ukrainian, it would be
Pavlo Humeniuk, according to the Library of Congress system, and
Pavlo Humenjuk, according to the International Standard.

His *Dance under the Willows* would be:
Tanets' pid verbamy, according to the Library of Congress system, and
Tanec' pid verbamy,  according to the International Standard.

The fiddler is known as Pawlo (instead of the expected Pavlo)
Humeniuk in the
literature, because he came from Western Ukraine to the USA in 1902,
at a time when the Polish (and/or German) alphabet would have been
used to render his name
in the passport and other official documents.  In the 1920s the names
of his songs on
the various recording were also rendered with the help of the Polish
alphabet.  Thus we
obtain *Tanec pid werbamy* (instead of the expected *verbamy*).

Inasmuch as Humeniuk's name has entered the historical record through
Polish (German?)
mediation,  I would recommend following the  procedure used in
academic publications whenever
established Latin-script document spelling differs from
transliteration norms:
- LC transliteration [document version].
- Then the name of the song in LC transliteration.  Thus:

Pavlo Humeniuk  [Pawlo Humeniuk]
Tanets' pid verbamy.

Kind regards,
Natalia Pylypiuk

Dr. Natalia Pylypiuk, Associate Professor
Modern Languages and Cultural Studies  http://www.mlcs.ca
200 Arts, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada T6G 2E6
voice mail: (780) 492-3498

Canadian Association of Slavists
http://www.ualberta.ca/~csp/cas