Ukrainian names (cont.)

Prof Steven P Hill s-hill4 at UIUC.EDU
Fri Apr 14 21:06:04 UTC 2006

Dear colleagues, Ukrainians and others:

Thanks for your most helpful input about the correct orthography
of the old Ukrainian folk musician, Pawlo (Pavlo) Humeniuk.  I'll try
to straighten out the Library of Congress, so they will spell the poor
chap's name properly, 60 years after the classic recording he made.

I am reminded of a similar surname, perhaps Ukrainian, perhaps
from some nearby Slavic territory, that I'd forgotten over half a
century.   Around 1950, in my native state of Oregon, there was
a professional (minor-league) ice hockey team called the Portland
Penguins.   And on the Penguins' front line one of the wings was
named GEORGE HOMENUK (spelling approximate; being a
monolingual youngster, I pronounced it "HOME-uh-nuck").
If memory serves, in Mr Homenuk's front line the center was an
Italian named Larry Silvestri; both scored plenty of goals and
assists for the old Penguins.

HERE IS MY LINGUISTIC QUESTION, for you Ukrainians and others.
Was Pawlo's surname (HUMENIUK) derived from the same ROOT,
or from a different root, than George's was derived (HOMENUK)?

Gratefully,
Steven P Hill,
University of Illinois.