Piatka

Daniel Rancour-Laferriere darancourlaferriere at COMCAST.NET
Sun Apr 16 05:31:21 UTC 2006

Yevgeny Slivkin writes:

>I do not know about the other Slavic cultures, but in Russian culture which
>is still based on literature the most attractive part of femail body is
>"piatka".
>

>Don Guan: (...)pod etim vdov'im chernym pokryvalom
>               Chut' uzen'kuiu piatku ia zametil.
>Leporello: Dovol'no s vas. U vas voobrazhen'e
>           V minutu dorisuet ostal'noe
>
>                              (A.S. Pushkin)

This is a fetishistic conception of female beauty in the mind of "Don
Guan," while "Leporello" disregards the fetishism, extending the image
as if it were a normal metonymy in the direction of what is "ostal'noe,"
i.e., in the direction of what normally leads to male sexual arousal.
Leporello does not seem to understand Don Juan's momentary foot
fetishism, and follows through with a somewhat vague statement of what
is more normally perceived as sexually attractive in a woman.  I
seriously doubt that, for Russian men, "the most attractive part of
femail body is 'piatka'," although there are SOME men in various
cultures who cannot achieve arousal and/or orgasm with a woman without
fixating on her foot - a phallic icon (Peirce) or symbol (Freud).  If
you think about it, there is a resemblance here to the cross-dressing
male who needs to wear his wife's dress in order to complete the sexual
act.  In both cases the castration anxiety provoked by the absence of a
penis in a woman is overcome (or as sexologist John Money used to say,
there has to be a "Venus with a penis").  If you wish to delve further
into this (no doubt disturbing for some of you) phenomenon, see my
_Signs of the Flesh_ (1985) and the literature cited therein, including
the earlier paper on the semiotics of the human penis which appeared in
_Versus_, and which is scheduled to appear in Russian translation.  In
any case I felt obliged to correct a misconception about what is
normally sexually attractive to men, including Russian men.

Regards to the list,

Daniel Rancour-Laferriere