"the moral occult" how to traslate this term into Russian?

Alexander Prokhorov axprok at WM.EDU
Tue Apr 18 22:37:52 UTC 2006

Dear SEELANGERS,

In his monograph _The Melodramatic Imagination: Balzac, Henry James, Melodrama, and the Mode of Excess_, Peter Brooks coins the term "the moral occult" to describe "the domain of operative spiritual values which is both indicated within and masked by the surface reality" (5).
Could you please help me with finding an adequate translation for this notion?  Here are two suggestions I've received from my colleagues:
"nravstvennye zagadki"
"moral'noe tainstvo"

Sasha

Alexander Prokhorov, Ph.D.