podkidnoy durak: Grossman: 'V Kislovodske' & 'Zhilitsa'

Robert Chandler kcf19 at DIAL.PIPEX.COM
Wed Apr 19 16:26:37 UTC 2006

Many thanks to the many people who have contributed their thoughts and
knowledge!

In the story I am at present translating, 'V Kislovodske', the nature of the
game is not that important.  The game's name does not merit the emphasis it
would receive from e.g., 'they were playing durak'.  I shall stick with
'they were playing cards'.

But there is another story I may end up translating, 'Zhilitsa', where the
nature of the game DOES matter.  The suggestion is made in the very last
line that the card-player, 'kto ostalsya' (i.e. kto ostalsya durakom) should
go to the domoupravlenie and hand in an official letter that has just
arrived for a 'sosedka' who has just died.   The letter is an official
notification that the dead woman's husband, who died in 1938, has been
'rehabilitated'.  In this case - I have now, after your collective input,
decided - I shall translate it as something like 'they were playing "fool"',
and provide a footnote briefly explaining the game.

Thanks once again!

R.