"the moral occult" how to traslate this term into Russian?

Maryna Vinarska vinarska at YAHOO.COM
Wed Apr 19 19:43:23 UTC 2006

Alexander Prokhorov <axprok at WM.EDU> wrote:In his monograph _The Melodramatic Imagination: Balzac, Henry James, Melodrama, and the Mode of Excess_, Peter Brooks coins the term "the moral occult" to describe "the domain of operative spiritual values which is both indicated within and masked by the surface reality"
..........................Maybe it is simply that what we call "nravstvennyj kod" nowadays. You may even say "podsoznatel'nyj nravstvennyj kod". In our perception this is what you get with genes from all your ancestors. This is where all your spiritual values are kind of encrypted. They are hidden, invisible for other people, they are not on the surface, even you yourself can't decipher this code. But exactly this "kod" determines your behaviour in any extreme situation. And it is actually beyond your control.
It is not the same with "moral'nye prinzipy". "Moral'nye prinzipy", according to our beliefs, imply  that what you have as a result of your up-bringing and education and what actually may evaporate any moment if it comes into conflict exactly with this invisible "podsoznatel'nyj nravstvennyj kod" (that may mean smth very bad as well and may ruin that what your parents or teachers or whoever tried to bring to you).
V obshchem, tozhe polnaja mistika...
This is only my attempt to guess what that "moral occult" may mean. I don't know what the book is about. But I read all other suggestions, so maybe it is better to use that, "k chemu u liudej uzhe ukho privyklo".
MV