"Russia Today" course suggestions

Michael Denner mdenner at STETSON.EDU
Wed Apr 19 20:05:19 UTC 2006

George,
Two books to recommend, both appropriate for a first-year course that's
interdisciplinary and (especially) aimed at the social-science end of
the spectrum: Kotkin's short and sweet book _Armageddon Averted_ is a
cogent and convincing account of how the Soviet Union collapsed upon
itself. It does not presuppose a lot of knowledge on the students' part.
I used it with great success in a Russia Today course last year. (I'd be
happy to share the syllabus.)

I just finished Billington's recent book, _Russia in Search of Itself_.
I found it highly readable, with most of the esoterica (a delectation
for me, less so for the beginning student) in the endnotes.

Billington's book is more focused on the cultural and social, while
Kotkin's is very oriented towards economics and politics. They would
work well together. Both provide an excellent overview of the changes
during the past twenty years, and both are appropriate for students with
little or no knowledge of Russia.

Best,
mad
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*