Translation of 'Mustard spoon' ?

Steve Marder asred at COX.NET
Tue Apr 25 21:23:58 UTC 2006

> Could anyone help me with the translation of "gorchichnaia lozhka,"  a
> term that seems to be used to measure tiny qualities of medicines?
> (one-quarter of these seems to be about 1/100th of a teaspoon!)
> Thanks for any help, onlist or off.
> Don Loewen

Provisional answer:

I would refer to the item as "mustard spoonful" (gorchichnaya lozhechka).
I'm not sure of its use in medicine, but in cooking I believe it may be 200
milligrams. Cf. that with "travyanaya lozhechka" = 50 milligrams. Could the
measures be the same in medicine?

I stress the provisional nature of this reply.