The Best WAR & PEACE English Translation of All Time?

Steve Marder asred at COX.NET
Wed Apr 26 23:18:30 UTC 2006

> After many years of procrastination I'm finally about to start reading the
> greatest novel of all time by the great Count Tolstoy.  I'll be reading an
> English translation though and want to make sure that I am reading the best
> of these.  Does anyone have any opinions on this matter?

I suspect a "War and Peace" translation to look out for is by the
wife-and-husband team of Larissa Volokhonsky and Richard Pevear. Unless I've
missed something, however, their translation has yet to appear, although I'm
reasonably sure they're working on it. Correct me if I'm wrong.