The Best WAR & PEACE English Translation of All Time?

Michael Denner mdenner at STETSON.EDU
Thu Apr 27 18:12:18 UTC 2006

The upcoming (2006) Tolstoy Studies Journal will have an article by Hugh
McLean, reviewing Briggs' translation.

For what it's worth, I thought the review (of Briggs' translation) in
The Atlantic was wretched and petty. I'm not aware Simpson reads Russian
or even did much homework. Her cavils struck me as beside the point --
an excuse to make a few passing light observations on Tolstoy, not a
real assessment of a translation's worth.

I believe the doughy duo of Pevear/Volkhonksy are also at work on a W&P
translation.

Best,
mad
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*