simpson, garnett, p/v

Michele A Berdy maberdy at ONLINE.RU
Fri Apr 28 07:33:44 UTC 2006

Colleagues:

I also read Mona Simpson’s “review” of Anthony Brigg’s War and Peace, and
I must respectfully disagree with Ms. Hurst.  In fact I wrote a cranky
letter to the editors about it.  Yes, it’s important to pay attention to
the English text, since that’s what people hold in their hands.  But it’s
a translation!  All Mona Simpson does is compare English texts and tell us
which appeals to her – but the question is does Briggs capture the
original better or worse than others?  She has no idea.

I agree with those who wrote to defend Constance Garnett’s translations.
Yes, she smoothes out the rough parts and her translation strategy is
outmoded today, but when you actually sit and compare her translations to
others, you discover that she didn’t make many mistakes of meaning.  And
she translated 70 volumes!  Without a computer, or the dozens of
dictionaries we have today, or the thousands of academic analyses of
authors and genres, or internet forums and instant e-mail queries to
colleagues.  And she was the first to translate these works in most cases -
- unlike Pevear, who explicitly admits to using other translations as
guides.

I live in Moscow and was slow to pick up on the P/V phenomenon.  But I got
curious and ordered all their translations.  A Russian colleague and I
spent about 8 months analyzing them and just published an article in
Russian about them and their work in a Russian translation journal (a
short version will soon be posted on a Russian site).  What we found is
that they are utterly inconsistent in translation strategy (sometimes
literalist, sometimes not); use a mishmash of modern and archaic language
(sometimes in one bit of dialogue); fail to understand the Russian (the
texts are riddled with errors of comprehension of words, phrases and
stylistic devices); are consistently unable to reproduce interjections
(“How-what?”); have a tin ear for dialogue; and produce English so bizarre
that when my colleague would send me text messages of snippets of their
translations from his dacha, I would accuse him of making them up.  “Drank
up his pants” is one of the most egregious examples.  If you didn’t know
Russian, would you know what that means?  Using a strange expression in
English would be justified if it were a strange expression in Russian, but
it isn’t – it’s an absolutely run of the mill expression that means the
fellow pawned his trousers to buy booze.

We’ll be doing an English-language version (or perhaps two for different
audiences), hopefully within the next couple of months.  I spotted the
articles in the Tolstoy journal that colleagues mentioned and sent an
email trying to get copies.  No luck.  Can someone advise me how one might
get a hold of them from Moscow?

Best
Mickey Berdy