Vysotskii & old ballads (cont.)

John Dunn J.Dunn at SLAVONIC.ARTS.GLA.AC.UK
Tue Aug 1 10:59:08 UTC 2006

My wife, who knows far more about old American films than I do, reminds me that in Ernst Lubich's film 'The Shop around the Corner' (1940) there is a cigarette box that plays 'Ochi chernye'.  Notwithstanding the distinctly Slavonic names of the characters, the film is supposed to be set in Budapest.

John Dunn.

-----Original Message-----
From: "Robert A. Rothstein" <rar at SLAVIC.UMASS.EDU>
To: SEELANGS at LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 13:57:42 -0400
Subject: Re: [SEELANGS] Vysotskii & old ballads (cont.)

I forgot to mention two more or less exact quotes from "Dve gitary" in
the Vysotskii song:

	1. A na gore stoit ol'kha,
	   A pod goroiu vishnia...

	2. A v chistom pole vasil'ki,
	   Dal'niaia doroga.

And since Professor Hill cited Deanna Durbin singing Russian songs in
the 1943 Hollywood film "His Brother's Butler," let me add a mention of
Norma Shearer singing along to a jukebox version of "Kak stranno"/"How
Strange" (also known as "My tol'ko znakomy") in the 1939 film "Idiot's
Delight" (with Clark Gable as her audience in a diner). She apparently
also sang "Ochi chernye" in that film, but I don't remember it.

More examples of Russian songs in American movies, anyone?

Bob Rothstein

John Dunn
SMLC (Slavonic Studies)
University of Glasgow