Russian women travelers

Sara Dickinson sara_dickinson at VIRGILIO.IT
Sun Aug 6 10:06:01 UTC 2006

Dear List Members,

I am compiling a bibliography of Russian women's travel writing from ?
to 1881 and would like to ask for any information on travelers or texts.
By "Russian", I mean written either by a Russian or by a non-Russian who
participates in Russian culture (such as Catherine II); the texts could
be in a variety of languages. I am defining "travel writing" broadly at
the moment to include not only texts entitled "Puteshestvie" or "Putevye
zapiski", but also letters, diaries, memoirs, parodies, etc. Even a very
few letters--if written while away from home and if somehow describing
the surroundings or commenting on the travel experience itself--might
qualify. These texts might be records of a grand tour, travels for
health, accounts of pilgrimage, notes on travel to a relative's estate,
letters to acquaintances from a new home in Russia or abroad, and so on.
Please respond offlist.

My current (quite short) list includes N. Dolgorukaia, Catherine II, E.
Dashkova, V. Bakunina, Z. Volkonskaia, E. Avdeeva, O. Shishkova.

Thank you,

Sara Dickinson
Universita' degli Studi di Genova