first Russian-language publication of Grossman's 'Life and Fate' (Maximov)

Robert Chandler kcf19 at DIAL.PIPEX.COM
Thu Aug 10 08:51:57 UTC 2006

Dear Daniel,

> It is true that hostility toward Grossman was expressed both by emigres
> and by Soviets, and that Russian chauvinist sentiments played a role.
> One of his attackers, Igor' Shafarevich, is a known anti-Semite.  When
> "Vse techet" was published  by Anatolii Anan'ev in _Oktiabr'_ in the
> late 1980s, Grossman was accused of "Russophobia," and Anan'ev was fired
> as editor of _Oktiabr'_ (then later reinstated).  In a response printed
> in _Moskovskie novosti_ in 1990, Anan'ev stated: "the phrase about
> Russian soul being a thousand-year-old slave provoked fury.  But if we
> are not slaves, then why have we been submissively standing in lines for
> seventy years, why have we been applauding any dogma that happens to be
> spoken from the rostrum?" (my translation).
I'm sorry I've been so slow to thank you for this interesting little story!

> I disagree with Maximov's characterization of that passage in Grossman's
> novella as "an openly racist declaration."  It is, instead, a summing up
> of a reality that many Russians and non-Russians alike have recognized.
Yes, I too disagree with M.  M's remark is interesting primarily because M.
was the main (?) editor of Kontinent at the time and could certainly have
done a lot more to call attention to Life and Fate.  He printed only one
fairly short extract.  I think he was the first publisher Voinovich showed
the microfilm to.

Best wishes,

Robert