one more question on kukharka

Robert A. Rothstein rar at SLAVIC.UMASS.EDU
Fri Aug 11 00:54:29 UTC 2006

Edward M Dumanis wrote:

>Kukharka is a kitchen maid. Since they did not generally have kitchen
>maids in the USSR, the word went out of usage in standard contemporary
>context.

       Perhaps Lenin, Bukharin et al. used "kukharka" in the meaning
suggested by Professor Dumanis, but the 4-volume Academy Dictionary (I
don't have the 17-volume one at hand) defines "kukharka" as "rabotnitsa,
gotoviashchaia kushan'ia; povarikha" with examples from Chekhov of a
kukharka peeling potatoes and from the Soviet writer Babaevskii of a
kukharka preparing dinner. Dal' defines "kukharka" as "povarikha,
striapukha, prispeshnitsa," and both dictionaries list "kukhar'" as a
dialect form meaning "povar."
    A more recent quotation comes from Egor Gaidar (from an interview in
_Izvestiia_, 27 June 2003): "Samyi ser'eznyi risk segodnia [...] -
prikhod v ekonomicheskuiu politiku kukharki s pistoletom."
    And another _krylatoe vyrazhenie_: _kukharkiny deti_, which derives
from (but is not found in) a document promulgated in 1887 by I. D.
Delianov, the minister of education, which prohibited _gimnazii_ and
_progimnazii_ from admitting "detei kucherov, lakeev, povarov, prachek,
melkikh lavochnikov i tomu podobnykh liudei, koikh, za iskliucheniem
razve odarennykh neobyknovennymi sposobnostiami, ne sleduet vyvodit' iz
sredy, k koei oni prinadlezhat."

Bob Rothstein