Russian visa denials

Renee Stillings | Alinga renee at ALINGA.COM
Fri Aug 18 19:13:13 UTC 2006

Question to the list:

Has anyone heard of any instances of students planning on study abroad in Russia being denied the invitation?

In our 15-yr history, this is a first, and in discussing with our partners at MGU, concluded it either is due to his 5 years in the navy as a computer technician while attending undergrad, or it is a glitch in the system. They had a case of about 3 years ago that was also navy, so perhaps information is distributed differently for navy? There is nothing else in his history to suggest a denial, has never been to Russia, and only once to Ukraine. It is a shame as is working on his MA in international relations with a focus on Russia!

I am wondering if anyone else has come across this situation. We have had several others in the past who have served in some way or another and nothing ever came up. We will continue to try to get an answer from OVIR/MID (the rejection was sent "bez kommentarii").

Renee
www.sras.org