komissar vtorogo ranga

Robert Chandler kcf19 at DIAL.PIPEX.COM
Tue Aug 22 06:47:37 UTC 2006

Dear all,

It has taken me a while to get to the bottom of this.  There is no mistake
in the text of the Grossman story.  It is simply that, in accord with normal
usage he leaves out the word ŒArmeiskii¹ from the phrase ŒArmeiskii
kommissar vtorogo ranga¹.  This is a very senior commissar indeed.  Here,
below, is a list of the equivalent ranks of political and regular officers.

Thanks to everyone who made me aware of this issue.

R.

Mladshiy Politruk
Leytenant

Politruk
Starshiy Leytenant

Starshiy Politruk
Kapitan

Batal¹yonniy Kommissar
Mayor

Starshiy Batal¹yonny Komissar
Podpolkovnik

Polkovoy Komissar
Polkovnik

Divizionny Komissar
General-Mayor

Korpusnoy Komissar
General-Leytenant

Armeyskiy Komissar Vtorogo Ranga
General-Polkovnik

Armeyskiy Komissar Pervogo Ranga
General-Armii

Taken from the book "Black Cross/Red Star - The Airwar Over The Eastern
Front, Vol.2" by Christer Bergström and Andrey Mikhailov