Cherry Orchard music

Jules Levin ameliede at EARTHLINK.NET
Sun Aug 27 09:33:06 UTC 2006

At 01:11 PM 8/26/2006, you wrote:

  We are mounting a rather major production of the Cherry Orchard here in
the spring and as the dramaturg, I'm trying to track down the words and
sheet music to a number of the songs in the play. I'm not having a lot of
success with on-line searches and our library collections are not much help.
Does anyone know if there is a good source either for the music and songs
mentioned in the Cherry Orchard or, at least, for Russian "cruel" Romances
and popular music of 1890-1905? Answer on or off-line as you wish. Thanks in
advance!

  Denis

I hope that in your production you will follow what was clearly the author's
wish, and have the "Jewish orchestra" playing offstage in
the 3rd (?) act play klezmer music.  At one point Gayev tells us exactly
what instruments were used, and it is clear that Chekhov intended
for a specific kind of music to be coming from that orchestra--otherwise it
could have been a gypsy or russian "orchestra".
Jules Levin