CFP: Czechs in the Old and New Europe: New Approaches

David L. Cooper dlcoop at UIUC.EDU
Mon Aug 28 13:48:48 UTC 2006

Call for Papers: “Czechs in the New and Old Europe: New Approaches”
8th Annual Czech Workshop
March 30 – April 1, 2007

The Eighth Annual Czech Workshop, which will be held at the University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign on March 30 – April 1, 2007, welcomes papers on Czech topics, broadly defined, in all disciplines—-Slovak topics will also be considered. In the past our interdisciplinary conference has drawn participants from colleges and universities in the United States and abroad. Areas of interest have been: anthropology, architecture, art, economics, education, film, geography, history, Jewish studies, literature, music, philosophy, politics, religion, society, and theater. Topics that relate to the conference theme, “Czechs in the New and Old Europe: New Approaches,” are especially welcome, but panels will not be restricted to this theme. Work in progress is appropriate for our workshop format, and junior faculty and advanced graduate students are particularly encouraged to participate.
We also invite suggestions for possible roundtables.

Please send your abstract of approximately 250 words to:
Czech Workshop / David Cooper
707 S. Mathews Avenue
Foreign Languages Building #3070
Urbana, IL  61801

We encourage submission via e-mail: dlcoop at uiuc.edu.  Please include your name, full address, institutional affiliation, daytime telephone, fax, and email address with the proposal.

Deadline for submissions is October 15, 2006.

The 2007 Czech Workshop is supported by funding from the University of Illinois European Union Center; the Russian, East European, and Eurasian Center at the University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign; the International Association of Teachers of Czech; the Czechoslovak Studies Association; the Department of Slavic Languages and Literatures at UIUC; the Office of Continuing Education at UIUC; and others.