distressing news

Joe Andrew j.m.andrew at LANG.KEELE.AC.UK
Wed Aug 30 13:58:44 UTC 2006

Come on! - why don't you say what you really think?!

While being no musicologist, I think that AL-W has had an enormous,
popularising impact, certainly in the UK.  I personally don't care for his
musical style at all, but far more people know about, eg Eva Peron et al.
than would have been the case without Evita.  Maybe his M&M might actually
lead far more people to read the book than would have otherwise.

Joe

On Wed, 30 Aug 2006 09:57:34 -0400 Thomas Keenan <thomas.keenan at YALE.EDU>
wrote:

> It?s distressing because, and this of course is merely my own opinion,
> Andrew Lloyd Weber is a composer who wrote a few decent musicals in the
> 70s and 80s [?Jesus Christ Superstar?, ?Evita?] and since then has
> slouched further and further into the kind of inane, pandering, mainstream,
> not-even-Disney-material pap that draws busload after busload of tourists
> to Times Square to blubber and dab their eyes as the deformed wretch who
> dwells beneath the Paris Opera is abandoned by his beloved soprano amid
> some of the most insipid, American-cheese melodies and uninteresting,
> single-layered, nuance-free orchestrations since Lawrence Welk. My fear is
> that he will take this fascinating, enigmatic text replete with polyvalent
> images, intertextual resonances and creative manipulation and fusion of
> generic models and extract a
> banal the-power-of-love story in which Kot-Begemot will be reminiscent
> of scrappy Rumple Teaser from Weber?s 1980s show ?Cats? and the Master and
> Margarita (a former Backstreet Boy and Marie Osmond?) will be hoisted to an
> incandescent moon hanging from the rafters accompanied by a finale of
> dripsy swelling strings, ringing brass, crashing timpani and pyrotechnics,
> lasers and elaborate scenery meant to make up for the unidimensional book
> and score. The synopsis of Bulgakov?s novel as formulated by Weber (I
> don?t have the link handy, GOOGLE ?Lloyd Weber Master Margarita? and
> you?ll get there) did little to allay my fears. I?m sure that, in terms of
> copyright law, the novel has long been public domain and certainly ALW
> technically has as much right as anyone else to realize his conception of
> it but my personal view is that the work is better off enjoying the
> considerable popularity it has already garnered
> than being travestied and served up to millions of philistine theatre-goers.
>
> TFK
>

> Quoting Tony Lin <tonyhlin at BERKELEY.EDU>:
>
> > Hi Mr. Keenan,
> >
> > I know next to nothing about this composer, but why is this a distressing
> > news? I am interested in knowing why you think that.
> >
> > Tony Lin
> >
> >> I regretfully inform you that Sir Andrew Lloyd Weber has announced that
> h >> e
> >> is composing a musical (or maybe an opera) based on Master i
> Margarita. >>

> options, and more.  Visit and bookmark the SEELANGS Web Interface at:
> http://seelangs.home.comcast.net/

Joe Andrew
j.m.andrew at lang.keele.ac.uk