distressing news

Thu Aug 31 04:09:04 UTC 2006

Jessika Aguilar wrote:

> I don't know about Les Miserables but I was inspired to read the
> Phantom of the Opera after seeing the ALW musical (I actually really
> liked The Phantom - more the movie version though).  In general I
> find there are many works I have been moved to discover after seeing
> a movie, a reference, a play based on or whatever.  In fact, I was
> similarly motivated to read Pride and Prejudice after seeing the
> recent movie with Keira Knightley.  Besides, its not like they are
> replacing Master and Margarita, destroying the original forever.
> Some will likely be touched and want to learn more about it by
> reading the original and everyone else won't know any better anyway.
> But then I have something of an aversion to passing value judgements
> on culture, it seems a little snobbish to think that we (academics)
> can judge what constitutes good vs bad in art.  It feels limiting and
> restrictive, just my opinion.....

Yes, and I was inspired to see /Wings of Desire/ after seeing /City of
Angels/. Having done so, I'm glad I saw both, because despite the
similarity they really each stand on their own as artistic works. And I
have DVDs of both on my shelf.

Paul B. Gallagher
pbg translations, inc.
http://pbg-translations.com