distressing news

Meloche, Sylvia meloches at UMICH.EDU
Thu Aug 31 12:25:40 UTC 2006

 I had read "Les Miserables" long before seeing the musical (twice) and
was inspired to read it again afterward. I have also read M&M (for a
college course) and seen the film, and with the ongoing discussion, will
pull it off the shelf and read it again.

SMM

-----Original Message-----
From: Slavic & East European Languages and Literature list
[mailto:SEELANGS at LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU] On Behalf Of David Borgmeyer
Sent: Wednesday, August 30, 2006 11:05 PM
To: SEELANGS at LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU
Subject: Re: [SEELANGS] distressing news

Dear Colleagues,

I just have to wonder how many people have actually read Hugo's Les
Miserables after seeing the ALW musical.  In fact, a couple of years ago
a student told me she didn't need to read Hugo because she had already
seen the musical "version."

Will an M&M opera put a few more students in our Russian classrooms?
Maybe, but I fear the violence likely to be done to Bulgakov's work in
the process is probably not worth it.

DB