Daniel Rancour-Laferriere darancourlaferriere at COMCAST.NET
Fri Feb 3 05:14:41 UTC 2006

Dear Colleagues,
James Bailey asks an interesting question.

There are some passages about dukhovnye stikhi in my recent bilingual
monograph _The Joy of All Who Sorrow: Icons of the Mother of God in
Russia_ (Moscow: Ladomir, 2005).  Looking at the bibliography of that
book I see some other (non-Russian) items which touch on dukhovnye
stikhi, namely:

George Fedotov 1975
Joanna Hubbs 1988
Linda Ivanits 1989

Nonetheless, it has to be admitted that there is a dearth of non-Russian
research on the dukhovnye stikhi.  This is odd in light of the fact that
the dukhovnye stikhi are so important in Russian folklore (and abundant
- P. A. Bezsonov's _Kaleki perekhozhie_ [1861-1864] comes to four
volumes).  Do I detect a certain resistance on the part of Western
scholars to understanding Russian popular spirituality?

Regards to the list,

Daniel Rancour-Laferriere
Emeritus Professor of Russian
University of California, Davis