Baikal

Sergey Karpukhin sak5w at VIRGINIA.EDU
Fri Feb 3 17:02:41 UTC 2006

Dear Professor Dingley and List,

In addition to Vasmer's etymology: Some think that Baikal comes from the
Mongolian Baigal ("rich fire") or Baigal Dalay ("big sea").

It seems to me that both "голубое око Сибири" and "светлое око Сибири" are
occasional metaphors, rather than fixed phrases. I was born and lived for 22
years in Irkutsk, and I've heard Baikal referred to as "голубая жемчужина
Сибири" and "священное море" more often than "око." But again, these
appellations are used regionally, I'd expect a person from St Petersburg to
have some difficulty understanding what I mean.

Best,
Sergey Karpukhin
Charlottesville, VA