SEELANGS Digest - 3 Feb 2006 to 4 Feb 2006 - Special issue (#2006-41)

Kagan, Olga okagan at HUMNET.UCLA.EDU
Sun Feb 5 01:00:44 UTC 2006

On the heritage discussion, I would like to suggest that if your
university has heritage population it pays off to open a class in
literacy for these learners even before you are sure you'll have the
takers.  You offer it first and then they come.  It may take a year and
it may take convincing the administration to give you some time to
develop the class, but then the word spreads and the enrollments become
more robust.

I also think that as long as the classes we offer are four-skill, mixed
classes won't work.  A mixed class may have a chance to succeed if it is
focused on translation, comparative grammar, writing, a project that
students can work on in groups, etc.  The most differences between these
two groups are in the area of aural/oral proficiency.  If the focus on
speaking and listening is avoided, there may be a way to find common
ground.

Best,
Olga Kagan
UCLA Slavic Department