Still more on dukhovnye stikhi

Daniel Rancour-Laferriere darancourlaferriere at COMCAST.NET
Mon Feb 6 01:40:51 UTC 2006

5 Feb 06

dukhovnye stikhi, I can recommend the entry on that subject in
_Slavianskie drevnosti_, vol. 2, 158-162 (Moscow: Mezhdunarodnye
otnosheniia, 1999).  The entry is very informative, and includes a
bibliography of 17 sources.

_Slavianskie drevnosti_, by the way, is an excellent encyclopedia, a
treasure trove of information.  Unfortunately only 3 of the projected 5
volumes have been published so far: I (A-G, 1995), II (D-K, 1999), III
(K-P, 2004).  Relevant entries on Russian popular/folk spirituality
which have already been published in these volumes include:

agoniia
ad
allilluiia
amin'
amulet
anafema
angel
bannik
beregini
bes
beshenstvo
blagoveshchenie
Bog
bogi
boginka
Bogoroditsa
bran'
vampir
Varvara
Vasilii
ved'ma
velikii post
verbnoe voskresenie
voda.....

Well, I haven't even gotten through the first volume, and the list seems
endless.  The entries are very thorough, and each includes a
bibliography.  For my own research I have been fortunate that the words
"Bogoroditsa" and "ikona" come fairly early in the Russian alphabet.

The editor-in-chief is (was) N. I. Tolstoi (vol. III gives S. M.
Tolstaia).  Cover page on each volume includes the words "Rossiiskaia
Akademiia Nauk, Institut Slavianovedeniia."  A must for every Slavist's
library.

Regards to the list,
Daniel Rancour-Laferriere