Vronsky's Finances

John Dunn J.Dunn at SLAVONIC.ARTS.GLA.AC.UK
Tue Feb 14 14:35:07 UTC 2006

There is one further point: I seem to remember from the dim and distant days when I studied Russian literature learning that Tolstoi was not the most over-scrupulous of writers when it came to observing the conventions of narrative consistency.

John Dunn.

-----Original Message-----
From: Inna Caron <caron.4 at OSU.EDU>
To: SEELANGS at LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 09:20:56 -0500
Subject: Re: [SEELANGS] Vronsky's Finances

I agree with Yevgeny's assessment of Vronsky's ethics, and the
improbability of his backing out on the inheritance deal. I have to add,
though, that the idea of living off shtoss winnings also seems a bit
unlikely.

Remember the discussion in "Uncle Vanya" - what is considered "strained
means" by Petersburg standards is more than enough to maintain
lascivious lifestyle in the country. It is Vronsky's country estate that
strikes Dolly's (and, I supposed, the student readers') imagination,
isn't it?