Vronsky's Finances

John Dunn J.Dunn at SLAVONIC.ARTS.GLA.AC.UK
Tue Feb 14 16:34:14 UTC 2006

I didn't know about that one!  But there is perhaps a serious point here about nineteenth-century publishing methods that Professor Wanner might care to throw back at his students.  Presumably I am not the only one who has the mental image of writers (not only Russian) desperately scrambling to finish an episode before a journal deadline, and narrative inconsistencies seem an occupational hazard of the system.  And perhaps it is significant that nobody bothered (or dared?) to tidy up the discrepancies afterwards: would any of you have wanted to be the publisher's editor given the task of asking Count Tolstoi if he would mind tidying up a few inconsistencies?

John Dunn.

-----Original Message-----
From: Inna Caron <caron.4 at OSU.EDU>
To: SEELANGS at LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 09:48:05 -0500
Subject: Re: [SEELANGS] Vronsky's Finances

Very tactfully put :) Although, he is nearly pedantic in comparison with
Dostoevsky, won't you agree? I always get a kick when an observant
student notices that Sonechka Marmeladova's step-sibling changes names
from Lida to Lenya, and I wonder whether the kid changes sex as well :)

John Dunn
SMLC (Slavonic Studies)
University of Glasgow
Hetheringon Building