babki/Gretsky

Alina Israeli aisrael at AMERICAN.EDU
Thu Feb 16 14:38:45 UTC 2006

I am surprised that no one mentioned (unless I missed, in which case my
apologies) how Gretzky got famous in the American pop culture. I certainly
heard his name for the first time (!) when President Ronald Reagan
mentioned him in his speech. You can't get a better promotion than that.

On a similar note (pardon the pun): One very distinguished classical
pianist in the US (one of the five students of Horowitz) told me once; "We
have other pianists of the caliber of Vladimir Feltsman, but they don't get
to have their first recital in the White House."

 Alina Israeli
 LFS, American University
 4400 Mass. Ave., NW
 Washington, DC 20016