Scena Plastyczna K.U.L in LaMaMa

Krystyna Lipinska Illakowicz ki2 at NYU.EDU
Thu Feb 16 21:56:08 UTC 2006

I am announcing a very interesting theatre group from Poland performing in
LaMaMa Theater in New York.

La MaMa E.T.C.

presents

SCENA PLASTYCZNA K.U.L.
(The Visual Theatre of Catholic University, Lublin)

ODCHODZI
(PASSING AWAY)

based on the book of poetry and prose
by Tadeusz Rozewicz
one of Poland’s greatest playwrights and poets

directed by Leszek Madzik

live vocal: Urszula Dudziak
world-renowned master of scat

FEBRUARY 16 - MARCH 5, 2006
Thurs ­ Sat:  7:30 PM
Sundays: 2:30 & 7:30 PM

La MaMa E.T.C. - The Annex
74A East 4th Street
New York, NY 10003
Tickets: 212-475-7710  $20
Theatre workshops led by Leszek Madzik at La MaMa
Mon­Wed., Feb. 27- March 1
Cost: $ 100

I could burrow through half a dozen dictionaries and still not find the
words to describe Polish theatremaker Leszek Madzik and his company Scena
Plastyczna: Madzik is breathtaking, purely imagist in a preconscious realm
unapproachable through conventional
language.                          -  Justin Hayford, Chicago Reader, 1994

Leszek Madzik has created an epitaph for a beloved one, written with the
beautiful, radiant language of black and white images and the voice of
Urszula Dudziak. The spectacle is shocking and movingly beautiful.
                                                                                               -
Echo Dnia, January 28, 2005

Looking at the images I allow myself to be hypnotized, forgetting that
there is life elsewhere. The darkness I am facing acquires the
characteristics of a living being that swallows and spits out human
silhouettes. I do not know whether this is what we see at the end. If I had
my choice, I would ask the Almighty for “Passing Away”.
                                                                                              -
Roman Pawlowski, Gazeta Wyborcza, July 5, 2004

 >>>MORE ON THE PERFORMANCE

 >>>MORE ON LESZEK MADZIK & SCENA PLASTYCZNA K.U.L.

 >>>TADEUSZ
ROZEWICZ                                                        >>>URSZULA
DUDZIAK