Vronsky's Finances

Jules Levin ameliede at EARTHLINK.NET
Fri Feb 17 23:18:04 UTC 2006

At 04:22 PM 2/13/2006, you wrote:
>Dear Professor Wanner,
>
>My dissertation relates to the reflections of the Medieval Code of Chivalry
>in Russian literature of the 19th century. I view Vronsky as an exemplary
>upholder of the Russian military nobleman's code of honor. Even his
>attempted suicide, as I argue in my dissertation, should be read in the
>context as an "American duel" with Karenin (when two adversaries draw lots
>and the one who loses is obliged to shoot himself; ironically, in America in
>the 19th century this was called a "Russian duel"). It seems to me unlikly
>that Vronsky reneged on his deal with his brother.
>
>There are some other possible explanations for Vronsky's influx of cash.
>Noblemen in the 19th century could often "outrun the constable" (zhit' v
>dolg). Or Vronsky could have won the money by playing "shtoss" with a fellow
>officer. The sums one could win or lose in this card game in that milieu at
>that time were fantastic.
>
>Sincerely,
>
>Yevgeny Slivkin
>Defense Language Institute

I believe that somewhere at a soiree Vronsky mentions that a gentleman pays
his gambling debts before he pays his tailor.  This hit home with me, since my
greatgrandfather owned a masterskaya on Kronshtadt supplying uniforms and
accoutrements, including weapons, to officers.  (I know this seems improbable,
but I can send a jpg photo of an advert. he ran in Kronshtadtskiy
Vestnik, 1878.)
Jules Levin