Call for Papers: ULBANDUS 10 "My Nabokov"

Marijeta Bozovic mb2108 at COLUMBIA.EDU
Sun Feb 19 23:10:04 UTC 2006

Call for Papers: My Nabokov

The next issue of Ulbandus, Columbia University’s Slavic Review, turns its
focus to Vladimir Nabokov, perhaps the most provocative Russian author of
the 20th century (google 1,430,000 and rising; Solzhenytsin brings up half
that number).  Nabokov's prodigious output in poetry, prose, translation—and
strong opinions—raises numerous questions for us to consider:

Fame and literary scandals; problems of translation and translation theory;
text adaptation in film and film representation in text; the visual Nabokov;
the author in exile; Nabokov as Russian, American or European author;
autobiography as fiction or vice versa; bending genre; the 'voice' in the
introduction; Nabokov as scholar, instructor and scientist; erotica and
pornography; Nabokov as inspiration; the (post)Soviet Nabokov—among many
other possibilities.  We are especially interested in the notion of Nabokov
in dialogue—with other authors, genres and media—and encourage papers
focusing on works that specifically rewrite and reinvent Nabokov (i.e.,
Kubrick, Pelevin, Eco, Nafisi) or explore the idea of dialogue, or the lack
thereof, as a structural, narratological and ethical question in Nabokov’s
works taken alone.

As always, Ulbandus welcomes non-traditional and / or experimental pieces.
Submissions from outside of the Slavic field are warmly invited.  The
submission deadline is May 1, 2006.

Papers must be double-spaced and should not exceed 25 pages in length.
Electronic submissions are encouraged. Interested applicants may also submit
papers to:

ULBANDUS, Columbia
University, 1130 Amsterdam Avenue
Mail code 2839, New York, NY
10027,USA.

For posted submissions, please include (2) two print copies as well as a
copy in rich text file on CDR. For further details, see our website at
www.columbia.edu/cu/slavic/ulbandus/, or write to: ulbandus at columbia.edu for
more information. Ulbandus is a peer-reviewed journal.