short and short short stories (Penguin anthology)

Robert Chandler kcf19 at DIAL.PIPEX.COM
Sun Feb 26 17:00:28 UTC 2006

Dear Alexandra,

> Could you please elaborate more: am I right to assume that the Platonov
> translations are done by you and Angela Livingstone?
There are 2 Platonov stories.  'The Return' is translated by Robert and
Elizabeth Chandler and Angela Livingstone.  'The Third Son' is translated by
Robert and Elizabeth Chandler.  To my shame, I omitted my wife Elizabeth
from the list I gave.

Sigizmund Krzhizhanovsky   "Quadraturin" - is translated by Joanne Turnbull.
Her tr. of a selection of his work is about to be published by GLAS.  He is
a superb, only recently rediscovered writer.

> would be interesting to know why you've decided to  use Koteliansky.
He collaborated with D.H. Lawrence.  Their tr. of Bunin's 'The Gentleman
from San Francisco' was then edited by Leonard Woolf.  The result is one of
the finest translations of Russian prose I know.

Best Wishes,

Robert