-shina, other suffixes

Deborah Hoffman lino59 at AMERITECH.NET
Sun Feb 26 19:42:16 UTC 2006

This is a fascinating thread.  I feel compelled to
point out however that -esca need not be negative but
only means "in the style of," so I suppose the
connotation depends on the speaker's relation to said
soldato or said puttana :-).  You may be thinking of
-accio as in parolaccia, something a speaker with a
negative relation to the above personages might make
liberal use of.  Regardless of linguistics, fresh
puttanesca sauce is definitely one of the great
pleasures in life.

>I think Italian has a similar suffix -esca
(soldatesca, >puttanesca, known better on these shores
as spaghetti sauce)

Deborah Hoffman
Finance Chair, Graduate Student Senate
Modern and Classical Language Studies