"Kon-chuk" - ? Russian/Ukr. for horse whip ?

atacama@global.co.za atacama at GLOBAL.CO.ZA
Sun Jul 2 09:46:01 UTC 2006

Here is a little puzzle, and I think the word ought to be
"Konchik", but then it might be a rural Ukranian word for some sort
of whip applied to naughty boys by fathers.
I am trying to help a German-Russian grandchild in the US.

<< My great grandfather was born in the Black Sea are in the 1860's and
came to the Dakotas when he was 18.

As an instrument for disciplining disobedient children, he cut off the last
10 inches of an old broom handle and tacked his worn-out belt down the
length of it, letting the belt extend another foot beyond the broom handle.

This was called a Kanchuk (pronounced: con - chook).

Have any of you heard of this name, or is it just a family pet name for
this object?  It looks more Ukrainian than German in origen.

Jim Klein >>

Well, any answers ?
is it "konchik" (tip of the broom)
or
"Kon' " - deriv. of steed/horse ? horse whip ?

Thanks
Vera Beljakova