the Russian gaze

David Powelstock pstock at BRANDEIS.EDU
Wed Jul 5 14:18:37 UTC 2006

I believe that Sharapova has lived in the US most of her life--after a point
one may simply adopt a compromised version of one's name in order to
accommodate one's adoptive fellow citizens. Nabokov had a preferred,
anglicized pronunciation of his name that was not quite Russian, but closer
than many of the worst alternatives. (There has just been a long  discussion
of this on Nabokov-L. Check the archive, if you like, at
http://listserv.ucsb.edu/archives/nabokv-l.html.

Cheers,
David Powelstock

-----Original Message-----
From: Slavic & East European Languages and Literature list
[mailto:SEELANGS at listserv.cuny.edu] On Behalf Of Vanchu, Anthony J.
(JSC-AH)[TTI]
Sent: Wednesday, July 05, 2006 9:46 AM
To: SEELANGS at listserv.cuny.edu
Subject: Re: [SEELANGS] the Russian gaze

One quick comment about the tennis player Maria Sharapova.  I don't know
whether it's because she simply gave up against the tidal wave, but she
herself mispronounces her last name (misplacing the stress as do all the
English-speaking commentators), at least when she speaks English.

Tony Vanchu

Dr. Anthony J. Vanchu
Director, JSC Language Education Center
TechTrans International, Inc.