Lermontov's Demon I:XV

Inna Caron caron.4 at OSU.EDU
Tue Jul 11 15:28:44 UTC 2006

An hour of separation, an hour of meeting,
Brings them neither sadness nor joy.
They do not desire anything in the future,
Nor do they pity anything in the past.

- Vladimir Golstein, "The Demon: How Not to Regain Paradise Lost" (in:
Lermontov's Narratives of Heroism, Northwestern U Press, Evanston, IL:
1998, p. 49)

I imagine David Powelstock will have an even better suggestion.

Inna Caron, OSU

-----Original Message-----
From: Slavic & East European Languages and Literature list
[mailto:SEELANGS at LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU] On Behalf Of Deborah Hoffman
Sent: Tuesday, July 11, 2006 11:06 AM
To: SEELANGS at LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU
Subject: [SEELANGS] Lermontov's Demon I:XV

Does anyone happen to have on hand a translation (including name of
translator) of the following 4 lines from part I pgph XV of "Demon"?:

×àñ ðàçëóêè, ÷àñ ñâèäàíüÿ

Èì íè ðàäîñòü, íè ïå÷àëü;

Èì â ãðÿäóøåì íåò æåëàíüÿ

È ïðîøåäøåãî íå æàëü..."

In transliteration

Chas razluki, chas svidan'ya

Im ni radost', ni pechal';

Im v gryadushem net zhelan'ya

I proshedshego ne zhal'..."

It came up as a quote in a project this morning...Thanks, it will save
me a trip!

Deborah Hoffman
Information Services Chair, Graduate Student Senate
Modern and Classical Language Studies
Kent State University
http://users.ameritech.net/lino59/index.htm

Stop the Genocide in Darfur: