Mystery Language

STEPHEN PEARL sbpearl1 at VERIZON.NET
Wed Jul 12 00:59:31 UTC 2006

Dear SEELANGERS,

       In one of his books, "Over My Dead Body", Rex Stout, the creator
of the master detective, Nero Wolfe, has a bogus Yugoslav Princess
utter the following : "Teega mee Bornie Roosa". This expression is a
phonetic representation of her words transcribed by Wolfe's assistant and
amanuensis, Archie Goodwin, a notorious and unrepentant monoglot. The
meaning of the words was: "Over my dead body" and were understood by Nero
Wolfe, a native Montenegrin and speaker of what was then Serbo-Croatian,
as well as six or seven other languages.

      The reader is clearly intended to assume that the language in
which these words were uttered was some kind of "Yugoslav"/ Balkan/Slavic
language. Over the years I have asked speakers of pretty well every
European language I can think of [ except for Romany, a language of which
I have never been able to find a speaker]  if they could identify the
language in question, but have come up empty.

      It is possible that Rex Stout was fooling us all and simply
concocted a non-existent language for the purpose, except that it is hard to
imagine what his motive could have been, since nearly all his readers
would simply have assumed that it was "Yugoslavian" and the joke, if
any, would have been lost on them.

     My quality of life would be minutely, but distinctly, improved if
anyone out there could remove the fly from my ointment by recognising
and identifying for me the language in which these words were uttered.
Thank you.