Query from a student: SAKI

Helena Tolstoy tolstoy at MSCC.HUJI.AC.IL
Wed Jul 12 07:45:49 UTC 2006

Dear Mr. Chandler,

Once I asked you if I could, at a later day, turn to you for advice as to a
possibility of inexpensive accommodation in London. I am planning to stay
for a month and a half --an hotel would be too expensive. Any ideas would be
welcome.
Best wishes,
Helen

-----Original Message-----
From: Slavic & East European Languages and Literature list
[mailto:SEELANGS at LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU] On Behalf Of Robert Chandler
Sent: 11 July 2006 08:15
To: SEELANGS at LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU
Subject: Re: [SEELANGS] Query from a student: SAKI

The story is by that most underestimated of great English short-story
writers: Saki.  I forget the title.

Saki has an extraordinary gift - as powerful a gift as D.H. Lawrence - for
conveying the violence beneath the surface of civilized life.  But somehow
his wit, his equally remarkable surface brilliance, has prevented people
from realizing this.

Another of his greatest stories is called, I think, Sredni Vishtar.  It is
about a much-loved ferret that bites, and kills, a young boy's much-hated
aunt.  The boy ends up joyfully eating hot buttered toast while the servants
get anxious and wonder how to tell the 'poor boy'.

Best Wishes,

Robert

> Colleagues -
> Here is a query from a student.  Does the plot ring a bell with anyone?
>
>> Years ago I read a short story that was in a World Literature text and I
>> have been trying to find it again.  I hope you can help me as I do not
>> have the title or author.  All I know is that it was an example of
Russian