Mystery language

Deborah Hoffman lino59 at AMERITECH.NET
Thu Jul 13 20:14:35 UTC 2006

It's very odd.  "Io t'amo" will produce a guess of Tagalog, but Ti voglio bene, as well as the longer "Se io t'amo attento a te!" will produce (correctly) Italian.  "Jó napot" will produce a guess of Lithuanian, but Jó estét will produce (correctly) Hungarian.  It's fairly good at German - even two-word phrases - but completely stumped by French, particularly by Edith Piaf lyrics.  Ah well, it is good to know the humans will not be replaced anytime soon...

  Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 08:31:07 +0200
From: Michael Moss
Subject: Re: Mystery Language

There is one minor problem with this page and the results. I went to
the page and pasted in the English 'Over my dead body' just for fun.
The result was 'Manx'. So it seems that Language Guesser doesn't
guess very well.

Oh well.

Michael Moss, PhD,
Univeristy of Gdansk

On 12 Jul 2006, at 17:04, Deborah Hoffman wrote:

> I generally have no use for autotranslation, but one "language
> guesser" suggested Manx for your phrase. Now why a Yugoslav
> Princess would speak _any_ Gaelic language is beyond me, but...:-)
> http://odur.let.rug.nl/~vannoord/TextCat/Demo/textcat.html

Deborah Hoffman
Information Services Chair, Graduate Student Senate
Modern and Classical Language Studies
Kent State University
http://users.ameritech.net/lino59/index.htm

Stop the Genocide in Darfur: