Discussing racial attacks with students and help finding information on the 'piataia grafa'

Michael Denner mdenner at STETSON.EDU
Wed Jul 26 19:06:16 UTC 2006

Benjamin is right -- sociologists (Latane and Darley) have argued that
the lesson to be learned in Genovese's case was not that no one called
the police DESPITE the fact that forty people watched her being
murdered, but that no one called BECAUSE so many people witnessed it.
It's called the "bystander problem" -- responsibility is diffused and,
furthermore, no one does anything because no one does anything. Like
"group think," there is such a thing as "group action" that trumps
personal responsibility and even personal freedom. We are most alone and
on our own when we are in the middle of a crowd.

Renee's emphasis on the cultural aspect is not amiss, though. Without
descending into cultural stereotypes or all-encompassing historical
explanations (ok, I probably will), every American I know who has lived
in Russia has noted and complained about the tendency Russians have to
expect someone else, usually the government, to deal with a given
problem. This phenomenon is notable, for instance, in the lack of native
NGOs in Russia or the near absence of charitable societies that abound
elsewhere, but most prevalently in the Anglo-American world.

I remember going to a church in Moscow a few summers ago to volunteer my
time & energies -- I was invited to sing in the choir.

Best,
mad
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
   Dr. Michael A. Denner