ethnic violence and bystanders

Michele A Berdy maberdy at ONLINE.RU
Thu Jul 27 06:09:31 UTC 2006

Hi, all.  Alas, I think you need to be very clear about the dangers for
non-white students these days.  Today The Moscow Times reported on the
aquittal of kids who admitted to killing a Congolese student, and
noted: "Nineteen people have died in racially motivated attacks this year,
a group that monitors extremist activity said Wednesday. Another 166
people have suffered injuries in attacks in 22 regions, the Sova Center
said, Ekho Moskvy reported. Most of the attacks took place in St.
Petersburg and Moscow, and they are becoming increasingly vicious, it
said." A couple years ago I interviewed African students about hate crimes
and just wanted to weep.  They really don't go out after 5 PM.

And alas, sometimes people help and sometimes they don't.  I do think this
is partially the "big city" phenomenon. But I also think it is a part of a
greater change -- a response to the enforced Soviet notion of society
being more important than the individual.  People don't have much
identification with society as a whole (Georgy Bovt wrote about that in
regard to the Russian diplomats killed in Iraq -- there was virtually no
public outcry.)  They only have some identification with "neighborhood"
when something really bad happens -- as in South Butovo.  People are
generous and caring of family and friends, but otherwise -- it's every man
for himself. This is not universal; in particular, if you need help,
people usually really get involved.  But you can no longer count on it in
the big cities.