TOC: Ab Imperio 1-2006 "Language Difficulties: How and Why W e Write the History of Empires and Nations "

Sergey Glebov sglebov at SMITH.EDU
Mon Jun 5 10:14:32 UTC 2006

Dear colleagues,

The editors of Ab Imperio would like to draw your attention to the first issue of AI in 2006 "Language Difficulties: How and Why We Write the History of Empires and Nations ". This issue opens our annual research program on Anthropology of Languages of Self-Description in Empire and Nation. Please, visit Ab Imperio website at http://abimperio.net for more information on our annual program and thematic issues, subscription, and other items of interest.

Please, contact the editors with any questions at

office at abimperio.net (Dr. Ilya Gerasimov)

ai_us at abimperio.net (Dr. Sergey Glebov)

semyonov at abimperio.net (Dr. Alexander Semyonov)

kaplunovski at abimperio.net (Dr. Alexander Kaplunovski)

Ab Imerio 1-2006 "Language Difficulties: How and Why We Write the History of Empires and Nations ".

Theory and Methodology

>From the Editors Historians' Reflections on Prospects of Linguistic and Anthropological Turn in Study of Empire and Nationalism (Eng/Rus)

            Interview with Carlo Ginzburg On Rescuing Voices and Self-Description under Constraints (Eng)

Katherine Verdery Bringing Anthropologists (Back) In(Rus)

Wolfgang Kaschuba Ethnology as Dialogue? (Eng)

Mikhail Krom Comments on the Address by Katherine Verdery (Rus)

David O'Kane Power and Anthropology in the Twenty-First Century: Comments on Katherine Verdery's "Bringing the Anthropologists (Back) In" (Eng)

Sergei Abashin Anthropology and "Slavic Studies" (A View from Hereabout)(Rus)

History

Nikolay N. Kradin, Tatyana D. Skrynnikova Why Do We Call Chinggis Khan's Polity "An Empire"?(Eng)

Anatoly Remnev, Olesia Sukhikh Kazakh Deputations in the Scenarios of Power: From Diplomatic Missions toward Imperial Presentations (RUS)

Seymour Becker How Nineteenth-Century Russian Historians Interpreted the Period of Mongol Rule as a Largely Positive Experience in Nation-Building(Eng)

Jorg Baberowski. Satalinism and Nation: Soviet Union as a Multinational State, 1917 - 1953 (Rus)

Peter A. Blitstein Nation and Empire in Soviet History, 1917-1953(Eng)

Nikolai Vukov "Brotherly Help" Representations or "Imperial" Legacy: Monuments to the Soviet Army in Bulgaria before and after 1989 (Eng)

Archive

Sergei Glebov "Regulierter Polizeistaat" and "Iasak": Heinrich von Fick's Siberian Memorandum (Eng)

Heinrich Fick. Most Subject Propositions and Report Regarding Iakuts, Tungus, and Other Remote in Northern Siberia to the Russian Empire Submitted Iasak Peoples (Rus)

Political Science, Ethnology, Sociology

Emil Pain Empire-in-Itself. On the Mechanisms of Recurring Processes in Modern Russian Politics (Rus)

Andreas Frings Friendly Fire. A Critical Review of the New Imperial History of the Post-Soviet Space From a View of Analytical Philosophy(Eng)

Ricarda Vulpius Words and Peoples in Empire: On the Discussion of the "Greater Russian Nation," Ukraine- and Russophiles, on Dialects and Peoples (Rus)

Mikhail Dolbilov, Darius Staliunas Words, Peoples and Imperial Contexts: The Discussion Continues (Eng)

Ekaterina Kratasiuk Russian History in the TV Commercials: To Have or To Be?(Rus)

Wim van Meurs Old Wounds and New Battles: The pros and cons of comparative histories of Stalinism and Nazism (Eng)

REVIEWS

R-Forum

Writing About Stalinism after 2000

Alter L. Litvin, John Keep, Stalinism: Russian and Western Views at the Turn of the Millennium (London: Routledge, 2005). 248 pp. Bibliography, Index. ISBN: 0-41535-109-X.

Igor' Martyniuk
Alter L. Litvin, John Keep, Stalinism: Russian and Western Views at the Turn of the Millennium (London: Routledge, 2005). 248 pp. Bibliography, Index. ISBN: 0-41535-109-X.

Sergei Kudriashov
Yoram Gorlizki, Oleg Khlevniuk, Cold Peace: Stalin and the Soviet Ruling Circle, 1945-1953 (New York and Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2004). viii+248 pp. Bibliographical References, Index. ISBN: 0-19-516581-0 (hardback edition).

Ilya Kuksin

Serhy Yekelchyk, Stalin's Empire of Memory. Russian-Ukrainian Relations in the Soviet Historical Imagination (Toronto, Buffalo and London: University of Toronto Press, 2004). 230 pp. ISBN: 0-8020-8808-2.

Maksim Kirchanov

Nils Roll-Hansen, The Lysenko Effect: The Politics of Science (Amherst, NY: Humanity Books, 2005). 335 pp. Index. ISBN: 1-59102-262-2.

Alexei B. Kojevnikov, Stalin's Great Science: The Times and Adventures of Soviet Physicists (London: Imperial College Press, 2004). 360 pp. Bibliography, Name Index, Subject Index. ISBN: 1-86094-420-5.

Caleb Wall

Sheila Fitzpatrick, Tear off the Masks! Identity and Imposture in Twentieth-century Russia (Princeton: Princeton University Press, 2005). 332 pp., ill. Index. ISBN: 0-691-12245-8.

Viacheslav Men'kovskii

Sergej Bogatyrev (Ed.), Russia Takes Shape: Patterns of Integration from the Middle Ages to the Present (Helsinki: Academia Scientiarum Fennica, 2005) (= Annales Acade-miae Scientiarum Fennicae. T. 335). 290 pp. ISBN: 951-41-0957-0.

Aleksandr Filiushkin

Frank Schimmelfennig, Ulrich Sedelmeier (Eds.), The Europeanization of Central and Eastern Europe (Ithaca, NY: Cornell University Press, 2005). xii+256 pp. ISBN: 0-8014-8961-X.

Emilian Kavalski

Joel S. Migdal, State in Society: Studying How States and Societies Transform and Constitute One Another (New York: Cambridge University Press, 2001). xi+291 pp. Bibliography, Index. ISBN: 0-521-79706-3.

Bram Mikhail Caplan

Ivan Groznyi i iezuity: Missiia Anotnio Possevino v Moskve: Sbornik / Sost. i predisl. I Kurukina; per. s nem. S. P. Gizhdeu; per. s lat. L. N. Godovikovoi. Moskva: ""Agraf", 2005. 256 s. ISBN: 5-7784-0301-1.

Vitalii Anan'ev

Shireen T. Hunter, Islam in Russia: The Politics of Identity and Security (Armonk, NY: M. E. Sharpe, 2004). 592 pp. Tables, Figures, Maps, Bibliography, Index. ISBN: 0-7656-1283-6.

Igor' Alekseev

F. N. Shakurov. Razvitie istoricheskikh znanii u tatar do fevralia 1917 goda. Kazan: Izd-vo KazGU, 2002. 127 s. Spisok literatury. ISBN: 5-7464-0756-9.

Grigorii Zaplotinskii

Marek Przenioslo, Chlopi Krolestwa Polskiego w latach 1914-1918 (Kielce: Wydawnictwo Akademii Swietokrzyskiej, 2003). 468 s. ISBN: 83-7133-219-X.

Mariia Krisan'

Clio Moderna. Zarubezhnaia istoriia i istoriografiia: Sbornik nauchnykh statei. Vyp. 1-4. Kazan': ""Master-Lain", 1999-2003.

Marianna Murav'eva

Ye. E. Nosenko. Byt' ili chuvstvovat'? Osnovnye aspekty formirovania evreiskoi samoidentifikatsii u potomkov smeshannykh brakov v sovremennoi Rossii. Moskva: IV RAN, "Kraft+", 2004. 400s. ISBN: 5-93675-085-X.

Irina Popova-Bondarenko.

Pravoslavnyi sobesednik: Al'manakh Kazanskoi Dukhovnoi Seminarii. Vyp 1(6). Kazan': Izdatel'skii otdel KGEU, 2004. 254 s ISBN: 5-89873-118-0.

Archimandrite Pavel Stefanov

Contributors

AI-2005

Annual program 2006