Call for papers: Everyday life in Eastern and Central Europe

A.Smith a.smith at CAVEROCK.NET.NZ
Tue Jun 6 21:29:02 UTC 2006

CALL FOR PAPERS

The Peace Institute (Institute for Contemporary Social and Political
Studies, Ljubljana, Slovenia) is pleased to announce its call for
submissions to the upcoming book on

Everyday life of GLBT in Eastern an Central Europe.

The book will be published at the end of 2006 in English as part of the
Peace Institute¹s ³Politike Symposion² series (see:
http://www.mirovni-institut.si/eindex.htm, publications).

The original idea for this book came from the international conference
»Intimate/sexual citizenship«, which was held in Ljubljana in October 2005.
The aim of the conference and the following project (see:
www.mirovni-institut.si/razlicnost) was to activate, publicly reflect and
promote the concept of intimate citizenship and intimate citizenship rights
by which we understand the fundamental right to actively participate in
public (and private) life as a sexual person regardless of one's sexual
orientation, intimate choices, gender etc.

We are currently seeking proposals for academic papers. Our focus is on LGBT
people themselves. The book aims to provide an overall review and comparison
of the existing qualitative and quantitative data on everyday life and
position of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transsexual people as intimate
citizens in Eastern and Central Europe. The topics to be addressed are (but
not limited to):

€       Coming out and the construction of homosexual/bisexual/transsexual
identities; how and what kind of identities LGBT people develop, what their
life organizing strategies and values are etc.
€       Partnership and family issues
€       Violence and (internalised) homophobia
€       Cultural (media) representations of LGBT people.

Thus we are NOT looking for legal analyses or results of opinion surveys of
the general public on LGBT issues nor an overview of development of LGBT
NGOs and their activities. (Although this information can be included in the
text, if needed ­ but only as background information.)

Articles should be about 25 pages long (1.5 spaced).

The proposal deadline is June 15, 2006. Proposals should be no more than 500
words, please include your email and postal address, and telephone number.

Please send proposals (and any questions you may have) to the editors:

Roman Kuhar (Peace Institute, University of Ljubljana, Slovenia):
roman.kuhar at mirovni-institut.si or
Judit Takács (Institute of Sociology at the Hungarian Academy of Sciences,
Budapest, Hungary): nyul at socio.mta.hu

Final submission deadline: September 10, 2006.

This is an open call, please distribute it widely.